Monday, February 11, 2008

Self checkout at the supermarket

I love the self checkout at the super market. I can be in and out very quickly if I only have a few items at least usually....... Self checkout is not a new thing. It has been around for quite sometime. I would have thought that everyone that wanted to try it would have by now. Apparently this is not the case. Today I'm at the Krogers (Kings sooper for all you Colorado folk) and I get stuck behind the slowest people. At station 1 we have a women with produce who thinks she can scan her box of clemtines and think it does scan, so the machine is yelling "Unexpected item in the bagging area, please remove". On machine 2 we have a women who doesn't realize that the machine works off of weight so she is too quick and gets the unexpected item so she takes it out and puts it back and the cycle continues for almost every item. Station 3 we have a women with quite a few items and too small children but mobile children. Not a good combination for self checkout! And finally on Station 4 we have an elderly gentlemen who is frankly baffled by the whole process. He slowly makes it through the instructions and scans each item. He doesn't put them in the bags he just lays them on the shelf. So when he is finally finished he is trying to put the items in the bags but things are falling out and then the lady monitoring the stations notices that he has missed an item. So he starts the whole process over again. Meanwhile there are still items on the shelf. Seriously people where have you been! And for the record and not to be mean but what possessed the old man to do the self checkout anyway! Not very many people of our grandparents generation are good with new technology! I told me neighbor Herb the other day to google something and he didn't even know what google was!

2 comments:

Shari said...

I have to say that that is one of the reasons why I hate self-checkout. I also think that the scanners are too sensitive - it is constantly telling me there's something unexpected...it drives me nuts! I rarely use it...

How did you get the machine to recognize your canvas bags? That was the other problem I had the last time I tried to use it!

Chris said...

Old people are so cute...unless they are in the self check out isle. I'll stand there and get so impatient that I'll contemplate going over to the regular lanes. The other thing that really irks me is when people just have too much stuff for self check out. I saw a lady trying to do a FULL cart of groceries in self check out. I saw that little number and kept right on going to the regular lanes. By the time I had to wait for 2 people and then pay for my stuff, she was still scanning stuff!