Monday, February 18, 2008

Seeing the lama speak

This weekend I attended a talk by Garchen Rinpoche, a Dirkung Kagyu lama (aka buddhist lama). I have been interested in buddhism for sometime and last week I decided to attend a intro to buddhism and mediation class at Gar Drolma, which is a buddhist center in dayton. The lama founded this center and has a buddhist institute in arizona. He only come about once every year or year and half.

I really didn't know what to except but what happened definately wasn't quite what I had visioned. First off he didn't speak any english so he had a translator. Second off he was funny. He was joking around with some of the people and in his teachings he had some jokes. He was also an extremeley animated speaker. Eventhough I had no idea what he was saying it was fascinating to watch him and try to infer some of the meaning. He would speak for a while and the translator would take notes and then translate that chunk into english. He is definately one of the most joyous people I have ever witnessed.

All in all while I'm not sold on this buddhism thing, I'm glad that took this oppertunity to see a genuine lama speak.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea.

Chris said...

That's really cool! If you are interested you should check out the Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff. The book discussed Taoism through the wisdom of Winnie the Pooh. It is one of my all time favs, and it would probably only take a day or two to read it's pretty short.