Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Garden progress

I started my tomato and pepper plants about a month ago. They are growing like crazy. The tomatoes are at least 6 inches. The pepper are progressing a little slower but they are still doing well. It has been so fun to see how much they grow from day to day. It was a stressful when I was waiting for them to sprout. I kept checking and checking to see if anything was coming up. Finally the tomatoes sprouted and then about 4 days later peppers started coming up. I can't wait until it gets a little warmer during the day so I can start putting them outside for part of the day.

I'm about half way done with my 1st raised bed frame. My co-worker has been instrumental in this effort. Basically, I bank rolled the project and I help when I can with the construction. I "supervise" so to speak. I am however working hard to cleanup and prepare the space it is going to go. The plan is to finish assembly and put it in the ground this weekend if we get the 4X4. I had to special order untreated cedar 4x4's because they generally only carry treated ones. However treated wood can leach harmful chemical like arsenic into your soil so I steered clear of that. I can't wait to see it completed. It is going to look super fancy and nice. And hopefully grow awesome veggies!

2 comments:

Chris said...

Sounds cool, you'll have to post a pic or two when they are done. I want raised beds in my next house. I like the thought of gardening but the thought of a St. Bernard traipsing through my carefully built garden...as well as kids pulling up everything and anything (I've lost more tulips in the past two days because of this!), I thought raised beds sounded like the way to go. I'm definitely interested in the final product, and the veggies too!

Unknown said...

Kate,
here is the list of tomato's i am planting this year...
-Cherries - Tonadose des conores, isis candy, lollipop
-Red - Sasha's Altai, Stupice, Grushovka, chianti Rose
-Odd - Anna Russian, Egg Yolk, Limmony, Japense black trifle, Prudens purple, annas Noire
-Sauce Debarao, Polish Linguisa, and principe borghese

I also got 6 pepper plants, a couple pumpkin, couple zucchini and a cucumber and dill and basil from the seattle tilth plant sale.

Max and have almost finished are new terraced beds so hopefully all my tomatoes will be in the ground this weekend. I'll probably wait to plant the pepper since it has been super cold here.

No melons tho. The snow in april killed all the starts. :( We started some seeds yesterday but it is probably already too late for my short cold summer.

Chris i feel your pain. Last year i started out with nine watermelons plants which for some reason max pull them all up at least once. needless to say the two surviving plants never produced a edible watermelon.