Monday, January 21, 2008

Garden: Initial thoughts and rambling


I'm determined to have a vegetable garden this year. Last year started out with herbs and tomatoes in pots. They did pretty well while in my care. I gave them to Shari and a neighbor when we moved. I inherited a wild mess of tomatoes once we arrived. I can't remember if I posted on them before but it was a vining crazy super producing mess. Needless to say I really didn't do anything to keep them alive they just grew.

So with both of those facts combined I think there is hope that I might be somewhat successful. Also I think some of Sean's research maddess has rubbed off. I have requested at least 5 different seed catalogs from various source, bought one book, and checked out two from the library. I would have checkout more but there is a 2 book limit when you get your card and then they mail it too you. (side note: I think that is the strangest library policy I have come across yet. The only thing I can figure is that they had trouble with people putting down wrong addresses and loosing books.) I plan on checking out more book once I received my card in the mail. (hopefully it will come tomorrow)

I have received two seed catalogs so far. One from Burpee and one from Seed Savers. The Burpee one had plenty of pretty pictures but not as much information as I was looking for and also I'm not sure I want to grow any hybrid plants and non open pollinated plants. The Seed savers catalog is awesome. Tons of helpful information about favor and quality, plus all of their seeds are heirloom varieties. I also like the idea of supporting their cause of saving seeds to make sure certain varieties don't die out.

Anyways I think I have rambled enough for today! Any one else have any garden plans or resources they want to share?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just don't use seeds from Home Depot. My dad learned that one last summer. His plants all turned out really sour! :)

Chris said...

Get yourself 3 used wooden pallets (to make a 3 sided box) and make yourself a compost heap. You can usually find them on the side of the road, or in various trash places. Anyway, the "black gold" is priceless....and composting is sort of fun!

Unknown said...

i agree with chris. Composting is great fun. Altho i think he works harder at it than i do. I have a covered bin and an open bin. Also remember mulch is your weeding friend. the more mulch you have the less weeds. Last years leaves work the best. Be careful if you use grass clippings they can burn your tender seedlings if you use too much.