Thursday, June 7, 2007

Thanks

I just wanted to thank everyone for being so encouraging yesterday! I will keep you'll posted about the job progress.

Now back to the goats. I have strange fascination with farm animals, always have I guess. So while I think most of you thought I was kidding about the goats...I wasn't entirely. I did some research and here and the highlights:

1. To get the cashmere you can just comb your goats not shear.
2. The goats are profitable in 3 ways: cashmere, meat, and weed control
People actually rent their goats out to eat down fields of weeds. Can you imagine having your lawn maintained by a bunch of goats!
3. There are consultants that you can pay to help you set up a cashmere goat business.
4. An extremely sturdy fence is required to keep the goats contained.

While I'm still for the goat plan, I had no luck convincing Sean. He told me that only if I made 30,000 more a year than I do now. Because he thinks it would cost that much to get it up and running. I told him that the idea was to not work anymore, just raise goats. He also pointed out that we wouldn't be living there long enough to make the business viable and how would be move the goats....while I'm not giving up, I think the goats will have to wait!

4 comments:

Chris said...

I think the goat plan would work better if you were into weaving the cashmere into sweaters and stuff. Then you could cut out the middle man and open up your own line of cashmere clothing! Then maybe they would become the next big thing and you could sell your stuff to movie stars and famous people for $3,000 each. Then you'd be rich!

Scott said...

You could probably fit at least 3 goats in the Beatle and at least 4 or 5 in the wagon. It wouldn't be too difficult to move them that way. Or you could always rent a trailer.

I'm surprised that your articles didn't mention the fact that you can make and sell goat cheese and sell goat's milk. Also, if you're in a touristy area, like Dayton, you can open a petting zoo.

Oh, and Quincy could be your herding dog.

Kate said...

You two crack me up! Although I'm not sure Sean would be happy about this encouragement! He probably thinks the 2 of you would be backing him up! Moo-ha-ha-ha I totally have you both on my side! :-)

Dan said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATE!!!