Friday, July 6, 2007

rental fun....

So apparently we agreed to take down the fence when we moved out if that is what the landlord wanted. I don't recall to agreeing to this....I may try and look it up in our lease..... Anyways he apparently want us to take the fence down. We made an improvement to the property and he wants us to remove it! What a pain in the butt!!! I can't possibly see why the fence would be a bad thing or a turnoff to potential renters. Especially if those renters also have dogs. I mean I know it isn't the pretty fence and it doesn't have a top bar on the chain link but still, it does its job. It keeps Quincy in and would definitely keep small children in. What more could you want from a rental. He is apparently concerned about the lack of top bar and the look. You don't rent a place because everything is perfect and beautiful you rent a place because it fits your needs. He could install a top bar if he wanted to! But no we have to remove the fence.

Sean thinks the man that installed will be willing to come back and remove it for free if he can keep the materials. I have my doubts that he will do it for free since it will be several hours of labor to take the fence down. Plus I think some of the posts are stuck in with concrete. I'm just really annoyed that we have to remove the fence! It just seems pointless and dumb to me. I would think most renters would like the idea of the fence. Although New Englanders don't seem to be quite and into fences and people in the west. Sorry I just needed to rant!

Now I feel more motivate to help find a renter that has a dog so I won't have to take the fence down! So know anyone looking to rent a 3 bedroom house in MA?

4 comments:

Chris said...

Didn't the guy that installed the fence work for the mafia or something? Maybe you don't want him coming back...Just kidding. I once built a flower bed and painted the kitchen cabinets from Pepto Bismol pink to a nice blue. The landlord came to see the house before we moved out, and she had a fit. Must be some inborn DNA thing in landlords. Good luck, it will all work out in the end.

Dan said...

If you can't leave it and the guy won't come back for free, is it something Sean and I could do? It might be a pain, but I'll owe you guys for the help moving!

Anonymous said...

bummer, but two thoughts.

1. aren't you going to need a fence in your new home.
2. wont the airforce move the fence with the rest of your belongings for free

Chris said...

I put a top rail on our chain link fence. It was easy and only took a few hours. I had about 100 feet of fence to do and I think I only spent about $80. If that doesn't sound like fun, how much was your security deposit? Just leave the fence and let him deal with it...I bet he would leave it up!