Friday, May 25, 2007

Today's Smile: Pack order

For today's smile I'm going to share a slightly amusing story about the pack order within my house right now.

Background information: Quincy my 45 pound Brittany spaniel is a fairly passive dog. Charlie my 11 pound cat has been above Quincy since they were wee ones. So basically Charlie rules the house.

Currently we are watching our friend's greyhound Cerin. Cerin is a 72 pound male greyhound. Just trying to give you guys a good imagine in your head of the size of this dog. He is a fairly dominant dog and established dominance over Quincy a long time ago. Well the order between him and Charlie has been ambiguous until now. Cerin has always been curious of Charlie and Charlie has always been a little unsure of him. Cerin will run after Charlie and he will go under the bed where Cerin can't get him. Well after much of this on many occasions Charlie has decided that Cerin just isn't scary. So this time there were having staring contests. They would just sit and stare at one another. It was like the cat was daring Cerin to come and get him. Well Cerin apparently decided last night to go up to him during one of these occurrences. I was on the phone at the time and I hear some hissing. I turn and look and Cerin is in shock and backing away for Charlie. From this point on last night and this morning Cerin skirts around Charlie with his head down. He doesn't make much eye contact when close and give him a wide berth.

It is quite the amusing site to see the large greyhound scooting around the small cat. Charlie is quite pleased with the outcome because now he can move freely in HIS house again. Cerin on the other hand seemed a little put off by not being at the top of the pecking order anymore!

Silly animals!

1 comment:

Chris said...

You can put me under Charlie on that pecking order too. I once had a stare down with him and he won, now I bow my head in shame and let him pass when ever we cross paths in the house. Just kidding. Do you remember when Buddha saw Charlie in your bedroom window while he was out in the backyard? That was funny!