Thursday, May 24, 2007

Where am I going to buy my produce?

One of my biggest concerns about moving to Ohio is the lack of a whole foods or other natural grocery store in Dayton. I'm extremely picky about my meat and produce items. I also buy a number of natural or organic items on a regular basis.

Today I did some research and discovered that Krogers has stores in Ohio. Better know to most Colorado folks as King Soopers. That is a definite plus since they tend to have a large section and good stores. I also discovered today "Dorothy Lane Markets." They appear to be a more natural type grocery store. They sell natural meat and organic produce. They only have three locations but depending on where we end up living it shouldn't be more than a 20 minutes drive. I also discovered a Trader Joe's. So things are definitely looking up.

My sister also introduced me to CSA's (Community Supported Agriculture). Using Local Harvest, I did some research and discovered that there are several close by (Dayton that is). Their prices seem fairly reasonable. Some were around 350$ for the year (June - October, once a week, 19 total). That is around 18.50 a week. I definitely spend at least that much on produce every week. Probably more. We won't be able to start in August, but we could do it the following year. The website also lets you search for farmers markets and other natural type stuff.

I also currently have a bunch of books from the library on organic gardening, compost, vegetable gardens, worm buckets, etc. I think one of my projects for the new house will be a garden. My herbs that I planted in a regular pot are going gung-ho, so perhaps my thumb is more of a brown color instead of black! I'll try to post a picture later of my herbs. (Should finally have some time tonight!)

I'm continually adding to and updating my pro list in an effort to be more okay with the move.

1 comment:

Shari said...

Those all sound like great options! Good finds...